They established their first Chop House on Cockpit hill off Market Street. But after a disagreement Thomas left to open his New Chop House on Cross Street, now Mr Thomas’s Chop House, in November 1867.
Soon the original restaurant was renamed Sam’s London Chop House, under the sole ownership of Sam.
By 1872 Sam realised that there was no need for “London” up here, so he got rid of it and established Sam’s Chop House in new premises on Market Street.
Sam’s quickly became one of the city’s most popular and famous pub restaurants. The reputation was built on proper home cooked food, local ales, fine wines sourced by local merchants the Willoughby family, and proper atmosphere.
In 1963 Sam’s was relocated to its current location at the intersection of Chapel Walks and Back Pool Fold by then owner A.H. or 'Bert' Knowles.
The Studd family line ended sometime in the early 1900s but we are still a family owned independent business.
We pride ourselves on the same values which made Sam’s famous. All of our food is cooked to order from fresh ingredients. We source our produce from the very best British suppliers, many of them family run as well. And we have an amazing team of people – our Sam’s family.
We are proud of our city and its amazing history.